This was last week's project which I am just getting around to posting.
I am conducting a dye experiment in search of red. Red is a very hard color to dye, at least I have found it to be so. I need to find my own red formula as I don't like the ones other people have provided. So I am returning to the practices of class back at fiber arts college and dying 10g skeins of yarn in glass jars. This allows me to dye more colors at once to test the formulas.
The jars get filled with a regular mix of leveling agent, dye, yarn, and citric acid and then multiples of them are put in each dye pot with a water bath around them. It works fairly well for sampling though you are limited by the amount of yarn you can get in each jar (10-20g).
This is some of the Vevgarn I mentioned in THIS post which dyes so well.
I haven't found the color I am looking for yet, but I'll keep looking. I will have to put off the resolution of this question until I return to Colorado in a few weeks.
When I find it I suspect it will go well with my sister's strawberries.